Industry 5.0 focuses on combining human creativity and craftsmanship with the speed, productivity and consistency of robots.
Scope of Theme
The fourth industrial revolution, or Industry 4.0, saw the integration of smart, connected, and autonomous digital and physical technologies like IoT and robotics.
Industry 5.0 integrates AI and the crucial and exclusively human strengths of problem-solving, value-adding creativity, and deep understanding of customers, to improve products and productivity and enable mass personalisation.
The theme explores the transformative potential of Industry 5.0, bringing to bear technical, behavioural, business, and societal perspectives to address opportunities and challenges. The theme includes:
- Technology to enable human-machine collaboration
- Business and social implications of mass personalisation
- Impact on careers, skills and the organisation of work
- Impact on consumption and sustainability
- Principles and ethics of human-machine collaboration
- Bio and bio-inspired design and manufacturing
The Industry 5.0 theme brings together strengths from across the University in manufacturing, advanced materials, robotics, AI and data science, employment & productivity, ethics, and social and behavioural science to address large scale real-world challenges.
See also: Digital Futures' Employment and Productivity theme.
The latest news and events from the Industry 5.0 theme.
More details about active research centres and institutes.