It is essential that digital systems work for humans in exactly the way we want them to.
Scope of Theme
Technology is now ubiquitous in many aspects of our lives, and our relationship with it is changing. We are treating technology less as a tool, and more as a collaborator.
As we move towards more sophisticated automation, it is increasingly important that everything we design – from cars to personal digital assistants, to algorithms - has human understanding, behaviour and ethics at its centre.
Researchers at the University are pioneering new methods for ensuring the technology we create has humans at its core and using these to engineer novel interfaces that will transform our lives. The theme includes:
- Human behaviour and user experience
- Collaborative decision-making
- Citizen science and user engagement
- Cognitive robotics and human-robot interaction
- Creative media and augmented reality
- Adaptability and personalisation
- Data ethics and trust