Deterring criminals, hostile states and terrorists.
Understanding malicious actors and discouraging them.
- Potential ‘adversaries’: criminals, terrorists, hackers or crackers, state-sponsored groups or individuals; their capabilities and intentions; modus operandi; strengths and limitations.
- Legal measures, policy interventions and investigative practices to improve the investigation and prosecution of digitally-facilitated crimes, including:
- the specific challenges of investigating/prosecuting digital crimes.
- the nature and effectiveness of such measures, in terms of interdiction, detection, and prosecution, and in in terms of deterrence.
- the ethical and social acceptability of such measures.
- how such measures are implemented in vivo by individuals / communities / organisations / governments, including potential unintended consequences.