Introduction to R
Time: 9:45 - 17:00
Venue: Cathie Marsh Institute Humanities, Bridgeford street, University of Manchester
Sorry, this event has now ended.
This one day course aims to provide a basic introduction to R for those with no previous experience with this statistical programming language. We will discuss some of the motivations to use R (instead of other applications) and provide a practical introduction to the basic grammar of R language. Specifically, we will cover how to create and import data into R and provide an overview of the basic procedures available for visualising and describing data. To illustrate the use of R, we will get practical, hands-on experience of using standard statistical techniques.
By the end of the day you should:
- Be familiar with different GUIs and environments that are used to interact with R and to be comfortable with communicating in syntax
- Understand the basic structure of the R language and how R stores data on its memory
- Be able to produce basic data visualisations
- Be able to fit standard statistical models in R
- Know where to go next in order to strengthen your R training